Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Oh, the difference you can make . . . .

When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world.  I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation.  When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town.  I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family.  My family and I could have made an impact on our town.  Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world. 
-Author Unknown


Can you imagine the HUGE difference we could all make in the world by starting with the one thing that we have the most control over? Ourselves. It's true, we have the most control over ourselves and what we pass on to others. We have the ability to think differently. To pay closer attention. To act differently. To care. There are huge numbers of people saying "I wonder why somebody didn't do something?" Do they realize THEY are "somebody?" If you think you can't make a difference, think again. Something as simple as a friendly greeting and a kind word can make a world of difference. Think of it as today's gift that you can easily give. The gift of acknowledging another human being just because you can.  And if you think there has to be something in it for you, change that thought. You can make a difference in the smallest ways, by paying closer attention to the needs of the people around you. And that's when there will be something in it for you! You'll receive more than you could ever imagine. You are healing yourself when you give to others. 

Once people realize that they can make a difference in this world by starting with themselves, the world will indeed become a better place. 

"Go the extra mile.
It's never crowded."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .
Follow your heart

Followers