Monday, May 24, 2010

Sensory Deprivation . . . .

I want to go dancing and wear a dress that swirls and floats around me, and laugh. I want to feel the shimmer of silk as it glides over my arms and down my body, the joy of fingering its whispery softness. I want to sleep in my own bed and luxuriate in the cool crispness of clean sheets, and rest my head on my own pillow. And go to sleep when I want to, with all the lights out, and wake up when I'm ready. I want to stretch out on my couch under my blue-plaid afghan and listen as my favorite music seeps from the speakers and into my being, watering the parched landscape of my soul. I want to sit on my porch and sip hot coffee from my stoneware mug, and read the newspaper, and hear the dog bark at blowing leaves and trespassing squirrels. I want to answer the phone and call my friends and family and talk until we catch up on all the words we've saved for each other, and laugh. I want to hear the train hoot through Loveland, the gravel crunch in the driveway, and car doors slam as friends come to visit. And the tinkle and clink of silverware on china, the hiss and gurgle of the coffee maker. I want to feel my bare feet on the cool whiteness of my kitchen floor, and the soft blueness of my bedroom carpet. I want to see the colors, all of them, every color ever spun into existence. And white, true white, pristine and unblemished. And acres of green trees, and miles of yellow-ribbon highways, and yards of Christmas lights. And the moon. I want to smell bacon sizzling, a steak broiling, Thanksgiving dinner and my father's tomato vines. And fresh laundry. And the ocean. But more than all of this, I want to stand in the doorway of my son's room and watch him sleep. And hear him get up in the morning and see him come home at night. And touch his face and comb my fingers through his hair, and ride in his truck and eat his grilled cheese sandwiches. And watch him grow and laugh and play and eat and drive and live. Mostly, mostly, live. And put my arms around him and hold him until he laughs and says, "Mom, that's enough!" And then be free to do it again.                    
-Deborah E. Hill

The above article was written by a woman in prison. Can you imagine having all the beauty of what life has to offer taken away? 

Don't take life, 
and all it has to offer
 for granted.

From the book Highlighted in Yellow
by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
and
Rochelle Pennington


Photo via Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .
Follow your heart

Followers

Blog Archive