Monday, April 5, 2010

Finding balance in you life . . .


I don't believe that 'having balance in your life' means that everything in your world is perfect. In my opinion, it simply means that you are giving enough attention to the things that are important to you. . . . consistently, regardless of what your circumstances are. We all know that life gets hectic. It just does! We are all trying to figure out how to balance our work life, our personal lives, raising kids, taking care of our aging parents AND ourselves. It's a lot to manage, but finding balance in the midst of our daily responsibilities can be done. It takes focus, and the willingness to set priorities. First, try letting go of the need to be in constant control. It is a sure-fire deterrent to managing stress and having balance. Also, we can rest assured that things in our life will change, no doubt.....life is ever-changing! Try being more open to inevitable changes and it will greatly reduce your daily stress.

If you are doing too much, or saying yes when asked to take on yet another project, understand that it is okay to say no. Otherwise, it WILL take a toll on you physically, mentally, emotionally & spiritually. One of my favorite coffee mugs has a saying on it that makes me laugh every time I read it. It says ...."No, I cannot make 4 dozen cookies. Next question." Believe me, when my boys were in school, I made my share of cookies, but I realized that I didn't have to say yes every time I was approached. If you really want to help, make it easy on yourself and buy them instead. The kids will love them just the same. Saying no more often will make room in your life for the things that are more meaningful to you. Invite simplicity into your life, and realize that it will present you with a chance to have balance, a sense of peace, certainly less stress, and much more joy. And by the way, having a sense of humor can't hurt either, so lighten up!

"A well-developed sense of humor
is the pole that adds balance to your steps
as you walk the tightrope of life."
-William Arthur Ward

4 comments:

  1. Great words to live by. It has only taken me 49 and 3/4 years to realize this! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous.......that's what is so great about getting older! We finally figure things out, don't we? Let me be the first to wish you a happy 50th birthday!....(just a bit early.) Enjoy!...and keep smiling. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree. It's easy to forget everything you talk about in this post... thank you for such a beautifully written reminder (I could use one right about now).

    Ps- Nick would like four dozen cookies :)

    ReplyDelete

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .
Follow your heart

Followers

Blog Archive