Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A recipe for you . . . .

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I am beginning to plan my meal, and get my grocery list together. I love the traditional Thanksgiving menu which consists of a beautiful Roasted Turkey & Gravy, Cranberry, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes with pecans, Corn, and Green Beans, but I always find myself looking for a new dessert, just to shake it up a bit.  Last year I made this Pumpkin Trifle, and it was such a hit! I had guests who were looking for the traditional piece of pumpkin pie, however, once they tried this, they loved it, and didn't miss the pie. And here's a bonus for you....it only has 194 calories for a 3/4 cup serving! Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't have told you that! No fair having pre-conceived reservations before you try it! I promise....THIS IS GOOD! I don't know about you, but as much as I watch what I eat, I don't hold back on Thanksgiving, which means I probably take in a hefty amount of calories on that day, so when it comes to dessert, if I can find something this good with a reasonable amount of calories, I figure I'm just that much better off. Give this recipe a try.....you won't be disappointed.

Pumpkin Trifle

1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake mix
1-1/4 cups water
1 egg
4 cups cold fat-free milk
4 packages (1 ounce each) sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice
1 carton (12 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water and egg, beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into an ungreased 8" square baking pan.

Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. When completely cooled, crumble the cake. Set aside 1/4 cup crumbs for garnish.

In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Stir in pumpkin and spices until well blended.

In a trifle bowl or 3-1/2 qt. serving bowl, layer a fourth of the cake crumbs, half of the pumpkin mixture, a fourth of the cake crumbs and half of the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Garnish with reserved cake crumbs. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Yield: 18 servings

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 194 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 4g protein. 
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.


"Dessert -- it fills the cracks in the heart.
So long pain!"
Author unknown

Recipe & Photo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .
Follow your heart

Followers

Blog Archive