Thursday, November 3, 2011

Setting limits and finding the right balance . . . .

Modern life makes us feel as if we can be everywhere and do everything. We have been given all the magical tools to believe it's possible, with cell phones, email and social networks. I understand these tools are there to make our lives easier and to be more effective. However, they were supposed to allow us to have MORE time! I believe it has become quite the contrary. We are spending more time with these "magical tools" and we are now wasting more time than ever. We feel the need to respond to everything and everyone. Are we accepting new "friends" on Facebook or Google+ just so we can take a peek into their lives without any sort of real connection? That's a sad and strange thought! My husband once said when referring to friend requests on Facebook "if they haven't been to my house for a cocktail, they're not my friend." How great is that? But as much as he wants to stick with that rule, he feels a bit of guilt when he doesn't respond to an old high school buddy. At what point do we stop responding to everyone and everything?  How do we use these magical tools the way there were intended?.......which is to be more effective? 

I don't have an answer..... I am just as guilty as the next person when it comes to immersing myself into our modern world of devices, but I also enjoy it, and Bertrand Russell once said, "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." So now I'm confused, and when I'm confused, I always revert back to that "balance" thing. So I'll choose to find that right balance, set my own limits, and try to make the most of my time. How do YOU make it all work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .
Follow your heart

Followers

Blog Archive