Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Think before you speak . . . .

Do you know anyone who makes it a habit to judge another person's actions before they have the facts? For some reason they find it all too easy, and feel high-minded enough to come to their own conclusion of someone else's story by judging (unfairly) on the basis of incomplete information, then share their own version of the story with others. I don't know too many people who would disagree with me on this, and the best way to understand what I'm referring to, is when someone does it to you. Once that happens, you understand it immediately. I was recently accused of doing something intentionally by someone who had no idea as to what the circumstances were. My first reaction was to fight back, but I smiled, and asked them to "tell me about it." I listened until they were finished, then spoke with such confidence about the facts, and only the facts. I didn't feel the need to add additional commentary, such as "how dare you", although that would have felt so good! I've never seen anyone back down so quickly and feel so much like they had choked on the words they had just spoken. I got 3 apologies in a matter of minutes. It was truly a classic example of someone coming to a premature conclusion based on their own fantasy version.

I am often slow to believe an entire story based on one person's rendition because I know for a fact, that so many people choose to hang on to all the gory details, add a few of their own, then pass it on to someone else. Do you make premature conclusions on the basis of hearsay, or are you one to give a person the benefit of the doubt, wait for the evidence, then draw your own conclusion? If you're one to judge too quickly, I promise, you'll think differently once it happens to you. When you feel you have been wronged, I hope you have the courage to stand up for yourself. I hope you don't sit back and take it. It is so important for your well being. 

Do you judge too quickly?

Before you speak,
think, Is it necessary?
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Will it hurt anyone?
Will it improve on the silence?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams . . .
Follow your heart

Followers